Friday, August 13, 2010

Using the GAME plan with students

Going throught the NET-T standards has helped me to better reach my students through the integration of technology. By incorporating the GAME plan into this, I was able to set goals and monitor my reaching them. In many cases goals are set for both teachers and students with no clear direction on how to get there. In the end no goals, or few, are met. By making a plan, I held myself accountable.

To help my students, I will create a survey through the use of Sentios. The students will answer questions related to the NET-S standards and indicators. By using the Sentios, the data is automatically organized so I can also see what areas ALL students need help in and those can be made into class goals. Based on the results of each student,they can set individual goals. I will also introduce them to the GAME plan so that they are provided with a workable way to meet those goals. At the beginning of each computer class,(we meet once a week inthe lab), they can use the first 15 minutes to work toward the goals. If they finish other assignments early they can continue on those goals as well. After each goal is reached, the students can revisit the survey results to chose another goal.

I think this is a great skill for students through life. As they enter high school, college and the real world, students will need a plan to reach goals. I never had a foundation for meeting goals, and always let things slide. I can see how this would be a life long skill. I also believe the students will be able to see how this will help them.

Laura

3 comments:

  1. Laura,
    As teachers we constantly have to post objectives, why not have the students make their own and work on them? I love it. You mentioned Sentios. Have you used it before. I had to google it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used them before, and I am not sure if I actual spelled it correctly. I LOVE them. The feedback for the students is immediate. For tests and quizes, they are given a score when the class finishes and they are not wondering how they did. There is a grade book attached to it also, so it allows me to monitor progress throughout a unit or the marking period. The only down fall with tests is that there is no paperwork to send home to the parents. As with anything else now a days, there are tons of premade activities on the internet. It is a great tool that I love to use!

    Good luck!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,
    I think you have an excellent point when you say that the GAME Plan provides a workable way to meet goals. Whether it is a teacher, student, or business person applying the GAME Plan framework to his/her life, this tool really does make what may appear to be overwhelming or unattainable more realistic and manageable. The thing that I worry about the most when thinking about implementing the GAME Plan in my classroom is getting the students going on the process and then letting the continuous reflection and revising process fall by the wayside.

    If you were to implement the GAME Plan framework in your classroom, how would you hold YOURSELF accountable when it comes to following through and reinforcing the importance of each step of the plan? One of the only ways that I can think of motivating myself to actively use the framework is to include it as part of the formative assessment portion of unit lessons/projects. Through the formative assessment of the GAME Plan, I could also use that opportunity to give the students cognitive feedback on their ideas, and see the information students need to review or relearn (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009). What are your thoughts?

    Thank you,

    Courtney Clausen

    Reference
    Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use: A Standards-Based Approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

    ReplyDelete